We are committed to developing a love for reading and instilling a culture of reading for pleasure across our entire school community. We work hard to promote reading around school and enjoying sharing class texts together. Our staff also enjoy reading various children’s books and we spend time discussing and reviewing these texts together.
Our school library contains a wide range of fiction and non-fiction texts for all children to enjoy. Our ‘reading scheme’ books are made up of texts from a range of sources, including Oxford Reading Tree and Rigby Reading Rocket. All books at Sleights are banded using the North Yorkshire scheme. More information can be found in our school policy (download below).
As a full school staff, we feel strongly that everyone is a free reader, regardless of age or stage. We believe that regardless of which coloured book you are working within the level of, you are also entitled to choose a text that is perhaps more, or less, of a challenge that the stage you are working at.
With this in mind, all children read a ‘banded book’. However, due to the organisation of our texts, the children can change between their coloured stage and one that is different to where they are working. We intend for this decision to promote the children to make positive reading choices and know that they are firmly responsible for their own reading choices.
To find out more about the curriculum at Sleights, please contact the school office to come and see what we do.
Click to download our Reading Policy here: Reading Policy and Procedure 2019
Statement of Reading Intent
The children at Sleights will be provided with a reading curriculum offer designed to:
- Establish an exciting, inspiring and engaging reading culture across school.
- Instill a love of reading and reading for pleasure across the school community.
- Reading will be ‘right from the start’, through high quality phonics teaching and provision.
- Equip children with a range of techniques to support comprehension and questioning of key information.
- Support children to read regularly.
- Allow children to access and read a significant range of high quality texts, including fiction and non-fiction, in a well organised and carefully planned system.
- Engage all children to read exciting and suitable texts by ensuring a range of texts are on offer to all children, including high quality phonetically decodable books and low level, high interest examples.
- Inspire and scaffold all staff to become reading experts.
- Provide children with language and vocabulary to support them to articulate their thoughts, ideas and opinions about texts they have read.
Statement of Reading Implementation
We are proud to provide an exciting and varied reading diet for the children of Sleights to ensure that the statement of intent for the curriculum is positively and successfully implemented across school. The implementation of reading at Sleights includes:
- Well planned and highly focused whole year group guided reading sessions.
- Individual reading sessions (one to one)
- Daily phonics sessions across the Early Years Foundation Stage and into Key Stage One. Support and individual sessions are delivered to those children elsewhere in school who may continue to require additional support.
- Supporting all stakeholders to read regularly, through monitoring of our school reading challenge.
- Tasks designed to promote reading for pleasure.
- Ongoing, high quality and targeted staff training and development.
At Sleights, Letters and Sounds is used to underpin the teaching of Phonics.